What happens if I am in an accident with an uninsured / underinsured motorist?

On Behalf of | Oct 29, 2022 | Firm News |

Getting into a car accident is enough trauma for one person to deal with, but having to contend with the other party’s lack of insurance only adds to the stress.

Here’s what you should do if you experience a motor vehicle collision with a person whose insurance does not fully cover you.

Get the other driver’s information, call the police, and take photos of the scene

The first thing to do is to get the driver’s full name, address, phone number and license plate. This will help with the police report and your claim’s paperwork if the driver does not carry insurance. Your insurance company will need to be able to locate this individual. Taking photos of the scene will also help reveal the nature of the crash and serve as evidence exhibits if needed.

File a UM claim as soon as possible

Connecticut General Statute Section §38a-336 (g) requires that you file an Uninsured Motorist (UM) claim within three years of the accident. This is a separate process from filing the original insurance claim. Three years may seem like a long time, but it is easy to procrastinate when dealing with more urgent matters such as injuries and hospitalizations. File the claim as soon as you can to get the compensation you deserve.

Verify whether your insurance policy includes UMPD

Connecticut does not require insurers to make uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD) a part of their product package to you, so you will need to ask them, or read your policy closely. If you do not have this coverage, you will have to pay for the repairs yourself or take action against the at-fault individual in court.