Child Custody Law In Connecticut: The Basics
During divorce, there is one particular issue that often causes a great deal of emotional turmoil ― the issue of child custody.
At D’Agosto & Howe, LLC, we understand what is at stake during child custody disputes, which is why we will work tirelessly to help you obtain a child custody and visitation arrangement that is in your best interests and the best interests of your child.
If you are going through a divorce and believe child custody will be a contested issue, you need personalized legal guidance from an attorney who cares ― you need D’Agosto & Howe, LLC.
Understanding Child Custody Law
Under Connecticut law, the primary consideration in any custody dispute is the best interest of the child. However, there are many factors a Connecticut court may examine when determining which child custody arrangement is in a child’s best interests, including, but not limited to:
- The needs of the child, particularly developmental needs
- The ability of each parent to meet and understand the child’s needs
- The parental preference of the child, as well as any information given by the child
- The custodial preference and wishes of each parent
- The physical and mental health of everyone involved, including the parents and child
- The child’s relationship with the each parent and his or her siblings, both now and in the past
- The stability of the child’s residence, both now and in the future
- The willingness of each parent to encourage a continuing relationship between the child and his or her other parent
- Any history of domestic abuse or violence
Ultimately, Connecticut courts can award sole customer to one parent or joint custody to both ― although state law generally favors joint custody. In fact, courts presume that joint custody is in a child’s best interests if the parents simply agree to such an arrangement.
When Your Child’s Future Is At Stake, You Need Legal Representation
If you are involved in a child custody dispute and need to speak to an experienced lawyer, contact D’Agosto & Howe, LLC, for help today. Schedule your FREE consultation by calling 203-538-9026 or toll free at 800-749-8616. You can also reach us online. We help families throughout the Bridgeport area, including those in New Haven and in Shelton, where our office is located.